Thursday, January 01, 2009

Savannah Pics.

It's hard to explain just how huge the ships were that constantly passed our hotel room window, but imagine that we're on the third floor and I'm taking this shot straight out the window. The thing is still taller than us. Awesome.



The funny thing about this sign is that I almost face planted because I was distracted by it as I was walking into the bathroom at Bonneventure. And I was so close to being able to use the word "ironic" correctly in a sentence. Ah well.



This is one of those scenes that doesn't look real to me. Had i not actually been there and taken the picture myself, I would have thought it was fake. That Spanish moss is the itchiest, most beautiful thing...



The statuary is really beautiful there, too. I took an embarrassing number of photos, but i won't subject you to all of them.






Breakfast at Clary's was definitely a highlight of our trip. The first shot is a description of the Elvis on the menu, the second shot is of the actual dish, before it was fallen upon by a pack of hungry tourists.






Hilarious, but sadly necessary.



The musket demo. I love that I actually captured the smoke in this shot. Lucky thing, too, because it was the last shot she fired, and had I missed I would have had to hang around for another hour and a half to try again. My next camera is going to be a digital SLR.




These two are of the Sentient Bean, the progressive/lesbian/vegan coffee shop (not really, but it was fun to say) - one outside and one from inside. We really loved this place.






These statues are outside of the Telfair Museum, and therefore were photographed lawfully.






This was the one I took before I knew I wasn't supposed to.



This one I took anyway. I just had to. The painting is so huge as to be indescribable. I had to get the b.h. in there for perspective. You can see a better picture of the painting here if you care to.



These last two are both taken out our hotel window. There's something extra relaxing about looking out at water. I hope we get to go back.




2 comments:

Z said...

Fabulous photos and now I want to go there.

I was taken aback by the huge cruise ships in the lagoon at Venice. When one was moored, it completely blocked the view for the poor saps who were actually visiting the city, rather than stopping off briefly on their way to the Med or wherever.

I also wondered about the actual painting of that picture. I wonder if he did it off ladders or what? How can you see what you're doing and if you've got it right on that scale?

heybartender said...

That was exactly what I was thinking when I saw that painting. Insanely realistic, yet larger than life. Was the canvass laid out on the floor? It is a truly stunning work. I stood in front of it for a very long time, and kept returning to it as I walked the rest of the room.