Saturday, January 10, 2009

Adventuring.

The dogs and I started out on our usual walk, up the driveway past the pond and to the left. But today, instead of doing a quick round in the grass and then heading back to the right and up the street, the boys decided to keep going leftward and I decided to let them. We ended up going round the corner and then left into the woods back of the house. Kilgore marched boldly on, while Wyatt lagged. This meant both of them at the full length of their retractable leashes and me stretched between, urging Wyatt to hurry and politely asking KG to slow up, and often backtracking to untangle one of them when they'd gone the wrong way around a tree or through some brambles.
The result was that we went a very short distance and had quite an adventure. There were some small and very deep holes in the ground that I wondered about from a distance. They were maybe ten inches in diameter, and from a few feet away I couldn't see the bottom. After wondering briefly what might have made them, I realized that this was perhaps not a question I wanted answered and moved on quickly.
There was a lot of random crap abandoned out there, too. Hot water heaters (multiple, which is bizarre), oil drums, and a huge pile of beer bottles and cans... it's pretty fucked up out there, really. In any case, the boys had a good time and I didn't have to walk all that far.
After our walk I went off to work, which seemed longer than it should have, and now I'm home and tired and I have to be up early to do inventory tomorrow. Pleh.

3 comments:

The Preacherman said...

tried following one of my cats once for the hell of it....yes I was drunk....and got stuck on a garage roof. The garage owner was not impressed at having to rescue a drunken bum.

The cat looked mightily impressed though

heybartender said...

Ha!

Z said...

Only you, Preach, only you.

A 10 inch diameter hole is quite large. Better not to investigate, I agree.

I used to take three dogs for walks every day but it was just too much to have all of them on retractable leads. They got hopelessly tangled. I was all right with one ordinary lead, and constantly switched the others from hand to hand before they tied themselves up.