Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Older, yes. Wiser? Jury's Still Out.

I was supposed to go to work at noon today, but I got a panicked call at ten thirty from my co-worker Lynn, who had just gotten a panicked call from our sales rep saying that the 225 cases of wine that were supposed to come on Thursday were actually arriving today at eleven. I gulped down the rest of my coffee and hurried off, arriving just after Lynn and obviously some time after the delivery driver, who was already stacking wine everywhere and every which way. The thing is, given enough lead time we usually tear down an old display, draw up a plan for the setup of the new one, and are usually able to just pop everything into place as it arrives. It is a lot of lifting and hard work, but pretty much par for the course and no big deal. Not so today. Lynn had the day off and was at home, sick in bed, when she got the call. Lucky for me all I had done was forgotten to put on deodorant. (More lucky was the fact that I had it in my car).
Anyway, after a tow and a half hour clusterfuck, we managed to get everything in place. Our boss made a phone call to the sales rep, who also happens to be a friend of the L.L.S. family, and gave him some shit, after which the slaes rep brought us a pizza from DePalm@s. White sauce, broccoli, spinach, and red onions. Fucking fantastic.
Tonight there was a cask of Highland Black M0cha Stout at Aroma's, which I managed to talk the b.h. into attending despite the fact that he doesn't drink. We had a cheese plate and I had a couple beers (I skipped the cask beer after tasting it out of somebody else's glass- good enough, but not exactly my cup of tea). It was actually very low-key and pleasant. We came home early and played a game of Playing Gids, a new board game that my sister and her husband bought me for my birthday. We're still learning, but it is a lot of fun and a great way to mark the passing of another year. Now I'm exhausted and really happy that I don't have to work tomorrow. Yay loafing! Happy Birthday to me.

4 comments:

Z said...

Happy birthday to you, dear woman. You are one of my favourite people, even though we've never met and you have, to my great pleasure, broadened my musical taste and given me a whole lot of laughs through your blog.

How come no other bugger ever comments?

Anyway, cheers and thanks.

Tim Atkinson said...

Happt birthday to you! Indeed!

Dandelion said...

Happy Birthday, heybartender! Many happy returns of the day.
Lots of love
dandelion

ps you've given me a terrible craving for pizza

luckyzmom said...

Ohew! Bullet dodged. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! My son-in-laws birthday is also today and yesterday was my husbands' birthday.