Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Down in the dump...

Today we finally cleaned out under our deck and around the yard (by "we" I mean my b.h.). I slept in and then pretty much just got up and drove to the dump. We have only recently aquired a truck (thanks to our friend J), and I had never been out there before. Two things struck me about it:

1. We could never have done this without the truck. No matter how much crap you can pack into your car, or even a van, there is no way I would want to go over that particular terrain in anything but a pickup.

2. Anybody who thinks that their recycling is actually being recycled in the greater Athens area is sadly mistaken. Separate if you wish. Wash out all your bottles and cans and put them in a separate container from the neatly collapsed and carefully folded cardboard boxes if it makes you feel better, but all that shit is going to the same place, where it will be flattened out and buried by another layer of red clay, mingled with abandoned toys and banana peels and piles of rotting, oozing whatnots. If you really want to make a difference, try consuming less.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Ugh. I suspected that. I guess I feel a little better about the fact that we don't have city recycling here.