Thursday, April 20, 2006

Bookish

Just updated the "Books I'm Reading" section over to your right there. How Dogs Think is the best book I have ever read about dogs. Thanks to my friend J for the recommendation (and to her mom, who lent it to her). If you have a dog, you really should read it. It explains the physiology behind what they do without going way the hell over your head. Well, I assume it won't go over your head, since it didn't go over mine and the last science class I took was Physics for poets back in college. Seriously, if you are a "dog person" you need this book.
Got a copy of Fair and Tender Ladies from my friend K. Started reading it the first time, put it aside somewhere in a rush to clean up my house, lost it, found it two weeks later, and have started it again. I can't read it when I am going to bed, because it is written in a style that is difficult for me to decipher when I am that tired. It is the story of two women who were pen pals for their whole lives, told in their letters, and the first part is written in the voice (is that the word? I never know "the word") of a young and uneducated girl, so the spelling and the language are kind of... well, annoying, quite honestly. But I assume that as the character ages, her writing will get easier to read, and I trust K to know a good story, so I am forging ahead. Slowly. I would write the author's name, but I just tried to find the book again and can't. Waiting for the b.h. to wake up from his nap ( how he is sleeping through car alarms and barking dogs I cannot fathom) so I can start flinging stuff around in the living room in search of it.
The Shakespeare book is killer. Absolutely fascinating. I love Shakespeare and have always wondered what all the controversy was about. Was the actor really the author? Well, now I know. This is a pretty convincing argument, as well as a well written and fascinating book. It is also taking me a long time to read because i am not a person who generally reads one book at a time, so I have it by the side of the bed and I get through a little more each week. And it's big.
I found the copy of Cuba Libre at a thrift sale recently. Have always wanted to read it. So far, so good. I love a history lesson mixed into good historical fiction. Since I have been sleeping so well this week, i have been reading very little, but so far so good.

No comments: