Sunday, June 21, 2009

So I started my new job this week. It's at a Local Natural Food Store. Well, it's at a store that is locally owned in a town 40 miles away from here, anyway. It's really a great place, and so far I like many of my co-workers, but it is so positively boring that I want to shoot myself. Yesterday was my first full day, and after about half an hour I was completely finished with all of my duties. Time went slowly after that. I re-organized the back stock, and then almost immediately resorted to wiping down shelves and polishing glasses. I think I might have scared a few customers with the desperate tone in my voice when I asked if they needed any help. Also, I am not terribly familiar with the stock at this store yet, so I was not much help. I was told by one of my new co-workers that I should feel free to fuck off.
"It's pretty loose around here," she said, smiling. This is not what I am used to, nor is it what I want to hear. I found a computer I could use to look up some of the wines and educate myself a bit.
Today was so long that I felt like crying. Were it not for the fact that the entire store hovers around fifty degrees, I am certain I would have fallen asleep on my feet. The good news is that I got free food from the cafe. Unsold breakfast items go to the break room at 1:30 for general consumption. I consumed.
I got home and immediately sent my resume to yet another company advertising on cr@igslist. Please to cross your fingers for me. Our car isn't going to make it to this winter and if I could work in town I wouldn't need to drive at all.
Last night we went to see our first rock show in Vermont. It was actually local, at a place called Lamb Abbey. It was fitting that our first VT show coincided with the first Athfest I've missed in nine years.(Note: Athfest is next weekend. See how out of the loop I am already?) The band was called Wussy, and they were fantastic. All kinds of fun. The crowd was older, which was unusual and really nice. And everyone was really excited just to have a show, so there were a lot of people dancing and going crazy. The place is not for profit. They don't have official NFP status yet, but it is meant to be a performance space, so there was a suggested donation at the door and the show was BYOB. Though the ticket price was twice what it would be in Athens, the money all went straight to the bands and since we didn't have to (and couldn't if we wanted to) buy drinks or tip, it wound up being very inexpensive. All in all a great experience and one we hope we can repeat with at least some regularity.
That being said, I stayed up late and now I'm tired and I desperately need a beer, so I'm off.

2 comments:

The Preacherman said...

Having been a tad AWOL of late I've missed out on so much. You used to work in a bar right? Now you work in a shop that sells food as opposed to alcohol?

Are you nuts???????

Can I have your old job?

Good luck with the new one babe x

heybartender said...

I'm still selling alcohol, it's just that not near as many people are buying. Health nuts, they are. What are you gonna do, right? I'll just be drinking more to make up for it.