Monday, June 29, 2009

Martha Effing Stewart.

Today I woke up later than I intended and, possibly out of a need to feel some sense of accomplishment and also probably out of some sense of guilt for not having gotten up with the b.h. at 5:45, I immediately started cleaning. I did a load of laundry, ironed his chef coats, and picked up in the living room. I also sewed a hole that I have been avoiding in the couch cushion.
Next I turned to the refrigerator to try and cut down the massive number of greens we have accumulated thanks to our new CSA. Having no idea what to do with dandelion or beet greens, I turned to my old friend Cook's Illustrated and found a recipe which used up all of the beet greens as well as the half pound or so of fresh spinach that I had laying around. For those of you not familiar with this site, it is related to the PBS show America's Test Kitchen. These people are serious about food, and their recipes are tested so many times in so many ways (my favorite example is the fudge recipe, which they came to by making ONE TON of fudge) that they are already perfected, and one need only muck with them if one feels like it.
I almost never cook, because the b.h. is very good at it and he enjoys it so much, and our kitchen is small enough that whenever I'm in it I feel like I'm invading his space. But the b.h. was in class today, so I had the kitchen to myself. I made this recipe, substituting dried cranberries for the raisins (the b.h. hates raisins), and it was awesome. I was just finishing up when he walked up the driveway. It was perfect, and I am quite pleased with myself. Maybe I'll start doing this cooking thing more often. I'm thinking maybe tomorrow I'll tackle those dandelion greens.

No comments: