Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Where Have I Been?

Jeebus- It has been a week already, hasn't it? Well, Let's see... Thursday I went to work at the bar, then at the Big Stupid Box STore, then home for two hours, then back to work at the bar. Slept for four and a half hours, got up and took the b.h. to work, then back to the BSBS. Busted ass there for many, many hours, managed to zing Middle Manager Jim (He made a reference to the fork lift as a "dork lift", because in addition to being fat and bald at twenty-six, he is also incredibly clever, and I looked him up and down and said "Nah- that thing couldn't lift you," and walked off. Got some raspberry and blackberry bushes on super sale, stayed late to help L with a giant azalea order, then went downtown to get coffee at the Jittery Joe's Roaster and wait for the b.h. to call.
At the roaster, I ran into a very good friend who I never see anymore as he lives in Atlanta and has a real job. We sat in my favorite glider chairs of all time and talked about life and love and important stuff. He is going to Afghanistan in May to train police officers (he is not in the military, he is a cop in Atlanta, and let me just say that if all cops were like him the world would be a much, much better place). I hate that he is going and I get a little ill just thinking about it, but it will be great for his career and as I said, he is fantastic and is the kind of guy you want training other people. It was incredibly serendipitous that we ran into each other. I wish we could while away more hours like that again.
The b.h. called a while later. He had to go to band practice, so I picked him up from work, dropped him at his practice space, and went home. I cleaned the house as best I could, ran the dogs, and ate and showered before heading back downtown to the Caledonia. The boys from J. Roddy were already there, so I hung out and talked to them about their tour for a bit before Lake City went on.
It was Drummer Dave's last show with Lake City, as he has gotten a "real job" and will be heading out to Boulder this week. They kicked much ass. After that, J. Roddy tore up the stage. About three songs in, one of the Lake City guys leaned over to me and said "I'm really glad we went first." He was right. Regardless of what a fantastic set Lake City had had, I would not wish on any band following J. Roddy and the Business. Everyone that I had harangued into going was very happy that they had. Two of the managers from the Forty Watt came by, as well as the tour manager for The Hold Steady, who I later overheard heaping praise on Zack (J. Roddy bassist). This is an excellent development. I am crossing my fingers for those boys. The Empties also had a great show, and when it was all over the b.h. and I headed back to Casa del Outside In with The Business for the traditional post-show pizza and beer.
I woke up early on Saturday (my blasted body is just doing that now, whether I like it or not), had some coffee, saw the Business boys off, and called the b.h.'s mom to go shopping for plants. That was an adventure. We got lost, three times, made calls, got directions, got lost again, made another call, and finally found the nursery. It is owned by a former UGA professor. I wasn't thrilled. His wife had a black eye (I know there are a million ways that can happen, but it made me feel weird), and all of their signs were misspelled. Plants that were virtually identical had varying prices. We got what we came for and left.
Crap. I have to get to work. More later.

No comments: