Sunday, March 16, 2008

Small Surprises.

I was watering some plants in the greenhouse the other day when I noticed some new growth in one of the pots. It didn't look like the rest of the plant, but since I hadn't seen this particular plant sprout yet, I really had no idea what new growth would look like. I took the plant out of it's pot, gave it some water, let it drain, then put it back in it's pot and back onto the shelf. Moving along to the next plant, I found the same thing. And the sprout was exactly the same, though the plant was not. I looked around and saw that in fact most of the pots in this section had these very same sprouts shooting out of them. Then I looked up at a noise above my head. It was one of our resident birds, who had found a fresh pallet of bird seed on which to dine. The mystery of the sprouts was solved when he worked a hole into the bottom most bag and a shower of sunflower seeds came down around me.

Spring Bre@k has come to our fair city, which means that the unruly and unwashed masses have flown South for some ill-advised binge drinking and anonymous sex, leaving the rest of us to creep quietly out from under our respective rocks and gather together in town. There have been a handful of really excellent shows- Rob Veal and The Help spring to mind- and I have seen and talked to and waited on many friends that I don't normally get to see. It has been lovely.

On a different note, Wyatt just found a very interesting (read:muddy) spot in which to dig outside. The b.h. then found Wyatt in mid dig and had to take him directly into the shower. I can hear them in there now, the b.h. alternately saying "no... no..." and "stay." Wyatt is not fond of bathing. "Man, you're absorbent" was the last thing I just heard. Hilarious and very true. He looks like a fuzzy oversized sponge when he gets out of there, and it usually takes him about eight hours to get thoroughly dry.

No comments: