Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Before" Pics.

Inspired by Z's recent photo-heavy post, I snapped these after working in the yard a bit today. Hoping that the drought will cooperate (i.e., go away) and these will be the "befores" next to some lovely, lively shots of the abundance ("after") that is my garden.

This is the start of a hellabore (not sure if I spelled that right). I bought it at one of the nurseries last week, just before I rescued a couple others from the dumpster at BSBS. Ah well. Live and learn.



These are going to be raspberry bushes. I haven't put the blackberries in yet- mostly because I can't decide where to put them.



I have cut these forsythia down to the ground three years in a row now, and they just keep springing back. this year I said fuck it and left them alone, and now they've taken over half the house. But they sure look nice, so I don't really mind.





This old Jack Daniels barrel is right outside the kitchen door, so I planted it full of herbs. I want to keep them as convenient as possible for the b.h. while he cooks.
I've got flat leaf parsley, sage, lime thyme, and mint in there. Also had some African basil, but the frost two nights ago seems to have killed it.



The hollyhocks are the only thing coming up in the flower garden right now. I also put a knockout rose in that back right corner, but I'm waiting to see what comes back from last year before I plant anything else. That sack is full of pecan hulls, which the crows have enjoyed immensely (and noisily) for the last two mornings. Can you see the hole they pecked on the right side of the bag? Yeah. Might be time to make my first ever scarecrow.

No comments: