Monday, May 26, 2008

Selectives Memory.

Does anybody else remember the eighties? I just got out of the shower and opened a new moisturizer. It's a sample, one of many given to me by the aesthetician wife of my boss. Incidentally, it is very useful to know people who are in various professions, especially if you are a skin and hair care product whore and you don't have a lot of money. So I open the Astara moisturizer, squeeze a bit onto my fingers, and begin smoothing it over my face and neck (liberally, as per the directions), and memories of middle and high school immediately flood my brain. What the hell ever happened to R1ch B1rd? He was the best artist in eighth grade. I still have a drawing he did of Bill the Cat from Bloom County. I wonder if Beth Strutz3nb3rg will be the first woman President? Does anybody know how to reach Mr. and Mrs. Weber? They were my favorite teachers. I wonder if I still have a copy of that mix tape that I made for Ed St@udacher, with all those Cure songs on it...
What the hell is going on? Where did this come from? I ponder for a moment, before realizing that this skin cream smells exactly like Salon Select1ves, my hair care product of choice back then. I can remember the awful shade of metallic peach/pink, the font on the bottle. I guess the scent is somebody's idea of apple. It's weird how much my olfactory senses move me sometimes. I once bought a bar of soap strictly because it reminded me of my Aunt Nancy. I have no idea what the scent was (it was in a clearance bin and didn't have proper packaging), but when I found it I was right back to my childhood, sleeping over with my cousin Mary in their beautiful old house in the city. Anyway, I have to go rub this stuff in, but I thought I would share that.

2 comments:

Z said...

Smells take me right back, too. The most evocative, to me, is that of a malting (the sprouted barley being roasted) because there was one two roads away when I was a child and I just loved the toastiness of it. I was obviously destined to grow up liking beer.

Like the new layout!

heybartender said...

Thanks, Z. I just had to get some blues and greens in here- tis the season, you know.