Thursday, March 01, 2007

Planting.

That's all I've been doing that's worth talking about. I've planted two kinds of tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, basil, dill, oregano, thyme, fennell, moonflowers, and some mixed four o'clocks. So far. And our meyer lemon tree (which was a gift from J and her s.o. for our wedding) is blooming. The smell is nothing short of intoxicating.
I've also spent some time trying to tame the flower beds around the house, in hopes that this year I will finally plant all of them. The problem with renting is that it's difficult to want to bother with the whole blasted yard (it's pretty large, and not at all tended prior to our presence) that we will eventually have to evacuate. But I've been getting to it a little at a time for the past couple summers, and this year I'm feeling particularly ambitious. In the meantime, progress is being made on the ridiculously overpriced condos from hell across the street. The guys who are putting them up have taken to communicating with each other by whistling very loudly, which as you dog owners may guess, tends to rile up the dogs. Which would already be annoying if it were late in the day, but since it generally starts at the crack of dawn (about an hour or two after I have fallen asleep), it actually pisses me off quite a lot. That and the trash which is constantly strewn about and regulary makes its way across the road and into our yard are really starting to get on my nerves.
On a lighter note, the geese are back. I think these may actually be *our* geese - the ones we call Marge and Homer, who are not afraid of us, and who will make their way across the pond whenever they see us come out, in hopes of getting fed - but I don't know if geese actually return to the same place year after year. If anybody knows about goose habits, I'd love an answer.
Also, the ducks are catching on. They aren't quite as aggressive as the geese yet, but they do stop by at least every other day. Photos to come.

No comments: