Saturday, March 03, 2007

Winnie the Pooh and Oh My Fucking God

So I'm standing outside the bar, and I see this guy in a Winnie the Pooh costume walking across the street. Though Halloween is far off, I am not in the least bit surprised. Frat boys have costume parties all year. No biggie. What was interesting to me was that this guy actually fit the bill, as it were. He was a little pudgy around the middle and he looked right for it. He filled that costume out properly. It was kind of cute. Then I noticed the guy he was walking with. Another, smaller frat boy, dressed all in baggy black clothes, with a big fake medallion and various other faux rap star accoutrements. And he was in fucking black face. No kidding. Which was horrifying in and of itself, but then it struck me: Winnie the Pooh and- what rhymes with Tigger?
Yeah. Total assholes. And there's no way that they intended anything else. White kids are always dressing up in rap clothes (or as "white trash," or bikers, or hunters, or business executives) for their very exclusive (lame) parties. I have never seen any of them in blackface, though. Every once in awhile they outdo themselves.
Sometimes I hate it here.

No comments: