Thursday, March 08, 2007

My First meme!!

Ten things I like beginning with the letter L, as assigned by Z (who helped me figure out how to link in the *Evil New Blogger* - appropo that she is the first new link, no?).


Lavender. I don't remember when I first discovered it, but it is one of the best smells in the world. I mean actual lavender, by the way, the faux lavender scented nasty stuff. I plant it every Spring (one of these years it may actually come back), and I use the essential oil in my laundry. Oh, and soap. Love the lavender soap.
Lip Balm. I only ever use Burt's Bees. We always have at least four tubes of it - one in each coat, one on the nightstand, one in the medicine cabinet. I have been using it for over ten years, and since they put out the tinted kind, I will likely never buy anything else.
Lemons. Fresh lemonade, lemon pound cake, lemon slices, lemon vodka (Stoly). The b.h. makes a fabulous green bean recipe with lemon zest and carmelized pecans. I can't get enough.
Leeks. And garlic, and onions... has anyone noticed how much food is on this list yet?
Lindt Dark Chocolate.The bars with orange peel and almond slices are my absolute favorite, but I am also a big fan of the plain 70% Dark bar. Decadent. Yum.
Lyle Lovett. Does he count as two? One of my musical comfort foods. "If I had a Boat" is zen-like. The Road to Ensenada is a fantastic driving in the country record. And his live show is one of the bast I have ever seen.
Lucinda Williams. A woman who has been there, done that, and written some raw and painful songs about the whole trip.
Lake Michigan. I never lived on the lake, but it has always been there, just a quick drive away. It's huge - an ocean without the salt. It's scary - I jumped in the water in May one year, off of my friend's boat. Luckily he was a lifeguard, because my legs were numb almost immediately and I needed help getting back on. It's calming - living in the city can get pretty claustrophobic at times, but an afternoon at the beach will always set me straight. (Not that I'm sunning myself, mind you. I'm far too pasty and sensible for that). I didn't realize how much that lake meant until I moved to my new landlocked home. I really miss it.
Libraries. The local public library is loaded with good stuff, but unfortunately it seems to be a dumping ground for people who can't control (or even pay attention to) their children. I have often thought of going back to school and getting a degree in library science, but then I lie down until the feeling goes away. I guess it's good to know that it's there if I need it, though.
Loafing. Sometimes not doing anything is the best.



3 comments:

Z said...

Mm, excellent (makes note to check out Lucinda Williams).

Recipes always appreciated.

Norfolk is the King of Counties for Lavender. There is a company called Norfolk Lavender which I'm sure I can find for you...

Yup, here it is (I sure hope that link worked or I will feel A Fool.

heybartender said...

Z-
Turns out the recipe actually has orange zest. But it is amazing. I am e-mailing it to you right away.

heybartender said...

Oh yeah- and MANY thanks for the lavender site. Wow.