Sunday, March 04, 2007

Progress (the good kind).

So the basil was the first thing to come up - no surprise there, since it seems like it will grow whether I pay attention to it or not. I wouldn't be shocked if I went into the garden store and found a basil seed packet with leaves poking out. That's how well it grows here. Also, the green beans, oregano, sunflowers, and a few peppers are sprouting. I couldn't be happier. Well, I suppose I could be if it weren't so cold today, but I'll take what I can get. I'll just have to start an indoor project.
Friday I went to all of my local thrift stores. Wound up scoring a pair of Frye boots that look like they have never been worn and make me about a head taller than the b.h. They are beautiful and soft and leather, and best of all, they were SIX DOLLARS. Also got a fancy red pair, with some sort of design on them, that are not quite as tall and not quite as leather. I suspect I will probably wear them a couple times and then sell them in the store. But again, SIX DOLLARS. In addition to my fabulous footwear, found some vintage Gap corduroys and several new cotton shirts. Oh, and two pairs of pajama pants. I think the total on this stuff was around thirty bucks. Score.
I never buy new stuff, really, unless it's a t-shirt from a band that I see live. I am a firm believer the best way to support low to mid-level bands is to buy stuff directly from them. I learned the hard way that even if I like a band that I see, unless I totally love them, buying a CD isn't practical, because I see so many bands that the CDs wind up lost in a stack and I look at them six months later and think "Who is this and why do I own it?" With a shirt, it doesn't really matter who it is. It works to keep their name out there. Whenever I leave town, I try to pack shirts from local bands here in Athens to get their name out in Chicago or Nashville or wherever I'm going.
Anyway, I'm gonna go get my day started. Yay sprouts! Yay new clothes! Happy Sunday, y'all.

2 comments:

Z said...

I have no idea of the temperature at this time of year with you. I suppose you are starting those seeds off indoors?

I've got peppers, tomatoes, basil and eggplant up so far in the greenhouse, and lettuce, but it's too early to plant beans as they'd grow too big before I could plant them out.

heybartender said...

Yes, I am starting all of these indoors. Not that my house has room for this sort of thing, but I am positively itching to get going. I fantasize about having a real greenhouse one day. Probably best that I don't have one yet, as it forces me to learn a little at a time rather than, for example, wasting a hundred cucumber seeds because I did not realize that they like to be sown directly into the soil.
The weather here has been warming quickly, but very chiolly for the past couple of days. I imagine (perhaps naively) being able to transplant everybody outdoors in a couple of weeks. We'll see.