Thursday, June 01, 2006

Summer finally arrives...

...and I retreat indoors. This is the official "adjustment" period for me, when I remember that I live in the South and why I have air conditioning. I will be fine in a couple weeks, I'm sure. But right now, I am hiding indoors with a big glass of iced tea and lemonade (that's an Arnold Palmer, right?) and many, many books. I finished Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut in a mere day and a half, and have now moved on to Fast Food Nation, which is making me incredibly angry, as well as The Radical Center, which is both helping me cope and giving me a little hope. I recommend this book to anybody who actually cares and pays attention to politics at all, because it is not about bashing either party. Instead, it actually talks about the shortcomings of both our political parties, and also has ideas about how we can and must change the way we do things. That's right folks: Actual Ideas. Not just bitching and finger pointing. It rocks. See the current proposed health care initiative in Massachusets for a good example. It is straight out of this book. Still reading the Shakespeare book, but it is slow going.
On a musical front, I am back to playing both An Epic at Best and Modern Skirts ad nauseum. I'm starting to think the b.h. might kill me soon if I don't knock it off.
Just found out my friend T is probably going to visit for AthFest. Could not be more thrilled if I tried. There is just something about old friends...
Anyway, the sun is setting so I can finally creep outdoors and water my very abundant tomato and pepper plants. A glorious day to all.

No comments: