Saturday, June 17, 2006

Now THERE'S One I haven't Heard Yet...

Kid: "Can I get a Miller Lite?"
Me: "Yeah, can I see your ID?"
Kid: "What?"
Me: "Your ID. Can I see it?" I am holding my right hand up as if I am holding the card in it--the universal bar sign for "i-den-ti-fi-ca-tion."
Kid: "I can't hear you."
Oh well, I guess I'll just go ahead and get you a drink then, huh?
There are very few people in the bar. It is not loud.
Me: "You don't have a stamp on your hand, which means you obviously didn't come through the front door, so I need to see your ID."
Kid: "Oh, I need a stamp? From the door? I came in with the band so I didn't know.
The band is not famous. They have no pull, and dropping their name or suggesting that you are somehow connected to them is meaningless. If this boy had ever been in a bar before he might know that.
Me: "Okay, then. You don't need a stamp, you just need to show me your ID."
He walks off, vaguely looking like he is going toward the stamp guy at the front door. He does not return. I see him with a beer in his hand about fifteen minutes later. I do not care. Props to him for feigning deafness. I wonder if that has worked for him somewhere before.

No comments: