Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Oh, Jesus.


So my tire was flat for the second time this week, and I had to take it to Sam's Club (yes, yes I am aware that they are the devil, but my mechanic told me to, even though he is a tire & allignment guy, because he can't beat their prices, etc. etc). Anyway, I had an hour to kill, so I started perusing the illustrated copy of The DaVinci Code, complete with photos of artwork and landmarks. Since I had just finished the book the day before, it was all fairly fresh in my brain. As i am paging through the book, out falls a small business card, printed on one side with the words "Examining the DaVinci Code" in the same font as the book jacket, as well as some of the same images from it. On the reverse side, in very small print, a paranoid message about how one-third of the people who have read the book believe it to be true, followed by reasons (but not proof) about how it isn't, and then a rambling message about Jesus.
"The DaVinci Code offers you no hope!" it exclaimed. (I knew it was "exclaiming" and not merely "stating" because there were exclamation points.)
"Read the bible every day. Obey what you read." the card said next. I don't remember what it said after that because it was insipid. In any case, I went through the whole section (like, thirty or forty books), and sure enough, there were cards in every copy of the book.

So my question is this:
What the hell are these people so afraid of? It's a fiction book, right? Well, that and a major motrion picture starring Tom Hanks--but still. My theory is that they are afraid because they don't really have faith. They have fear, and suspicion, and major fucking control issues. So i have to wonder... why isn't Tom Cruise a Christian?

3 comments:

Jamie said...

"My theory is that they are afraid because they don't really have faith. They have fear, and suspicion, and major fucking control issues."

We have a winner. Ding ding ding ding ding!

J.H. said...

I remember when Last Temptation of Christ came out, you couldn't get it at any rental store in the small south Georgia town I was in because the local Christians would steal it off the shelves.

So much for that commandment.

Cadley Dad said...

Hi,
have been reading for a while, came over from Jamie's blog.

Fair and Tender Ladies must be the best title for a book ever! I know what you mean about dialect - where I live people are always taking the pi&^ about our accent, and then some people write in the same style, it's so hard to read!

Keep blogging

Regards from the other side of the Atlantic

Ian