Monday, May 22, 2006

In Wonder...

A.J., you were right: Wonder Boys the book is even more amazing than the movie. I can't put it down. No surprise, really, since Michael Chabon (whose name is, I recently discovered, pronounced in a most baffling way)is a fucking genius, and reading his books makes me never want to put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, as it were) again.
Had to take the dog to the vet on friday morning, as he had been pretty violently ill for a few days prior. We finally called them on thursday, after several days of hemming and hawing, and of course when we got up on friday he was all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, as if mocking me for being worried enough to make an a.m. appointment.
The good news, though, is that he was in fact recovered, allowing me to join the b.h. and his bandmates on a jaunt to Macon this weekend. I had never been to Macon, outside of gas and pit stops en route to Savannah and various less attractive areas of central and southern Georgia. The Hummingbird is beautiful. Perfect. Exactly what I would do if somebody handed me a shitload of money and said "Here- open a rock club." The b.h. went in the van with the band, and our friend A. drove with me. When we walked in and sat down, we ordered a beer from the bartender, a wiry, black clad biker type, who as it turns out had learned to bartend in a bar owned by the same guys who own the bar where I learned to bartend--900 or so miles away. Weird. Serendipitous, even. Sometimes I find the smallness of the world very comforting.
Sunday was a festival of overindulgence at house of A. Took the dogs (ours and A's) and walked down the road to a pond at the back of his pasture. Watching them bunny hop at the shorline through reeds and weeds, chasing and swimming and snorting and generally having a really good time was the perfect way to end the weekend. I only hope the Zen feeling lasts through having to leave the house again (in three and a half hours). Doubt it.
In other news, Tim Easton has released his fourth solo record on New West this week. It's called Ammunition, and it's fantastic. Check him out at www.timeaston.com. Can't wait to see him in a couple weeks.

No comments: