Friday, August 14, 2009

The week has gone by more quickly than i realized. I just figured out that it is Friday, which means that I get to sleep in until 8am tomorrow. Woo hoo! I may even watch some television, just to be crazy.
Honestly, I don't mind being up at 5:30 in the morning. The problem is the getting up. Once I am more or less awake and my face is washed, I feel pretty good. And I enjoy the Local Co Op job so far because I get a sense of accomplishment when we empty pallets and fill shelves and make everything look full and tidy. One of my co-workers is the Vermonty version of Kevin Sweeney, which some of you will find highly amusing, and his surly demeanor makes me feel right at home. Like K, he is actually a very nice guy, he just has no patience for bullshit. I can appreciate that. Anyway, there are several people with whom I work that I can see myself actually hanging out with, which is encouraging. My manager sent me on a task the other day with these words:
"You're going to be working with Sybil. I hope you are a patient person. If you have any problems, remember that she is not your boss and that she is not training you. You already know how to do the job. Come straight to me if there is any trouble."
I walked off to frozen foods with some trepidation. Sybil, it turns out, is not bitchy or bossy at all. Rather, she is a five foot tall bundle of eccentricity and clinical craziness that has worked at the LCO for many, many years. She laughs often and loudly, like Mrs. Krabappel on crack. She has several physical ailments, none of which prevent her from hopping up a ladder and hoisting boxes (many that outweigh her) over her head. The problem is that she repeats herself constantly and talks to me like I am a small child. I am fairly certain that this is more an indication of her mental capacity than her opinion of mine. In any case, we got through the frozen stuff without any trouble. I went back to my manager and he sent us over to do another section together.
"That should take you about two hours, and then it will be almost time for you to go," he said cheerfully.
Um- yeah. That was a long two hours. This morning I got wise and set myself to a task on the other side of the store from Sybil. I recognized the shattered look on the guy who she was partnered with today when I passed him at the recycling bin. I felt no guilt.

No comments: