Thursday, July 16, 2009

We both had the day off on Tuesday, so the b.h. and I packed up the car and the dogs and headed for the coast. We stopped for gas and food in Lebanon, NH. Got a really fantastic sandwich at a health food store . Rosemary bread with brie and fresh veggies that tasted like they had just been plucked out of somebody's garden. I also picked up some beers that I hadn't seen before. More on those when I taste test.
The weather has been so unreliable, or rather, reliably crappy here in the green mountain state, so we decided to make our way to the ocean where the weather promised to be a bit nicer. A bit. We got to a place that was billed an "Urban sanctuary", with gardens and hiking trails and a pond where the dogs could swim. It was colder than I had expected, but not too cold for mosquitoes, which were abundant on the trails. Also, the pond in question had no real shore. It was up against some salt marshes, so the shoreline was crammed with reeds and tall grass and unsteady rocks and sea weed. Swimming was an option only for KG. The rest of us stood on the shore being eaten by bugs.
We left there and headed for Portsmouth, where we found a dog store, picked up a backpack for Kilgore, and walked around as long as Wyatt would allow us to. We went to the ocean and found a leash-free area to run the dogs. When I unhooked Wyatt he turned and ran immediately toward the car, much to the amusement of a pair of older women who were leaving the adjacent parking lot. He was pretty much over it. Kilgore found half of a dead crab and ate it before the b.h. could get it away form him. Then he had a scuffle with a husky and it was time to hat up.
We drove up the interstate into Maine, then headed out Highway one to see the ocean. It was chilly, so there were very few tourists, but it was beautiful. We drove around until we found a restaurant with outdoor seating. The b.h. got some fried scallops and clams, and I settled for a grilled cheese and fries. Had the weather been warmer, we probably would have stayed, but it wasn't in the cards.
Ah well, it was nice to get out of town.
I also got a call that morning about yet another job. I am considering swapping my Health Food Job for this one, because it is about 25 miles closer. Won't know until I hear back about the interview I had yesterday, for something full time that's about a two block walk. This is all very frustrating and stressful and I look forward to being done with it. So many things to consider...

No comments: