Thursday, July 09, 2009

I worked eleven and a half hours on Tuesday, training first with Marge, who has been at the restaurant for twelve years. Marge is a big, matronly, sweet (so far) woman of indeterminate age. She is a total pro as waitresses go, and I was glad to be learning from her. The day crawled by, but we were busy enough and had I actually been making tips I would have done well, so it was encouraging.
I also met the owners. The Male Owner, or Husband, was friendly enough. He introduced himself to me and shook my hand in the morning and then pretty much effed off and left me alone the rest of the time. The Female Owner, or Wife (bull dog), works in the kitchen. She talks to people like they are children. She likes to make you go through the motions with certain things.
An example:
"Heybartender, I want you to come back here (through the busy kitchen and into the dish room, in the middle of a lunch rush when I am waiting on seven tables) so you understand why I don't want you to fill the bus tub too full. See that? See how awkward that is?"
"Is this too full?"
"No. But this is why we don't want it too full."
"Okay."

Yeah. She's great.


That evening I trained with Chris, who might also be called Pat. Chris has a particular way that she likes everything done. She likes to think of it as "The Right Way," even though she realizes that she has OCD and that she is "anal." I made a mental note to try and do everything her way just so I don't have to have a conversation with her about any of it ever again.
Training with Chris was easy, other than the OCD thing. She actually treated me like I had a brain and social skills, and therefore I learned and I made her a shitload of money. So eleven and a half hours later, I headed home, having had one 15 minute break all day, and walked in the door to find that the b.h. had not only made my favorite- fennel with white wine-, but had also picked me up a bottle of that new Dogfish head Squall beer. That guy.
And now I am off for yet another minimum wage "training" session. Got a call this morning from the Local Health Food Store, this time one that is actually local. Have an interview next Wednesday morning. Later I will tell you all about yesterday's Marathon Wine Tasting. TTFN.

No comments: