Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Weird Shit that Customers Do: Retail.

1. A young woman approaches me, asking where to find bird houses. Though I do not work for the Big Stupid Box Store, and I am not required to help customers, it is not (yet) in my nature to be unhelpful. I show her where the birdhouses are and go back to what I was doing. Minutes later, she approaches me and asks,

"Will you walk me to the parking lot so I can show her and see which one she wants?"

Seriously?!
Um, no. I can't, and I wouldn't even if I could.

I decline and smile apologetically, and she leaves.

2. A customer approached one of the cashiers today with a question about fencing. She told the man that she didn't know the answer to his question (it was a very broad question) and that she would be happy to get somebody from that department to help him. He started shouting at her that "They just told me to come out and ask you!! And now you're going to shove me off on somebody else!!"

She was remarkably calm, and kept repeating that she simply didn't know the answer but that if he waited right here for just a minute some one would be out to.

"Blah blah blah!! Get off my lawn!! I'm old and scary!!" he shouted. At least that's what it sounded like. And he stormed out.

I am so new to this that i still find it mildly amusing. I'm sure that won't last.

No comments: