Thursday, February 14, 2008

Scooter, Day Two.

Tuesday morning I got to "sleep in" until nine. I had to report to the store on the other side of town, so the drive was about fifteen or twenty minutes. I knew my friend L was going to be there - it is her that I am replacing at this job.
When I got there, L was nowhere to be found, but Scooter was already hard at work, and the faces of the other people in my department told me that he was in the same mode that he had been on Monday.
I will skip the gory details, but know that Tuesday was more of the same from Monday- with less cinder blocks and more stupid metal effing displays. Thing is, my job is "roots only"- if it doesn't grow, i don't touch it. But we did what needed to be done. In fact, because Scooter is so disorganized and scattered, I did and re-did the same very annoying tasks several times.
But a the end of the day, the clouds parted and L emerged for a room where she was training, looking almost as shell-shocked as me, and assured me that all would be well.
"I've never seen that guy before" she said of Scooter, "but if I had I doubt very seriously I'd be standing here right now."
My other new co-worker E chimed in "We're pretty laid back here. We'll be doing a lot of work, but not like that." She looked over my shoulder at the whirling dervish that is Scooter, and shuddered. "Don't worry. You'll be okay."
And after that, I was. I suffered through my last hour of work, being as polite as possible to Scooter while almost completely ignoring him. And when I got to work on Friday, I felt total relief. It's hard work, and I am certain to have some problems, but so far so good. Holy crap I think I like my job.

No comments: