Friday, February 09, 2007

Hey! There are people out there!

So, um, Blogger forced me to upgrade. And lo and behold, I discovered actual reader comments. Which I immediately published. I have no idea how it happened, but I'm glad it did. Anybody who has known me for any length of time knows that I have a difficult time with this whole tech-nol-o-gy thing (Thus my Yahoo! e-mail address, despite the fact that Gmail is clearly superior. I even have the "old" version of Yahoo! mail). Anyway, apologies (and thanks!) to those of you who have bothered to comment. I will now attend to the comments regularly.

I'm not a huge fan of this font, but I just tried to change it twice and I couldn't get it together. I'll ask the b.h. for help tomorrow.

I have just finished Eats Shoots & Leaves, a fantastic punctuation book written by a woman named Lynne Truss (I probably just misspelled her name, but I mean no disrespect). It is hilarious and amazing, and I recommend it to anyone who is as frustrated as I am by other people's stupidity. Mind you, I am also frustrated by my own stupidity, but there isn't nearly as much (heh). Anyway, the author is British, and she gives rules for both British and American punctuation, and I find myself borrowing from both, so forgive me. It just seems that some of their rules are much more logical. Examples? Don't ask me for examples! Read the book!

Why no examples? Well, because I have spent my entire (long) evening waiting on a group I have fondly dubbed The Visor Brigade. Theree are three kinds of people who wear visors: Golfers, Tennis Players, and Douchebags. These boys belonged in the third category. Yessir, white visors and red necks. It was nice to be busy, though.

At the end of the night the guy who headlined told us a great story about seeing Jack Black at LAX. Apparently, it was after Tenacious D, but before maximum JB saturation. Our hero was about 17 years old, and he was killing time in an airport gift shop before his flight. He saw JB in the shop, went up to him, and asked for an autograph. This was, he said, his first celebrity encounter, so we might imagine that he was probably outwardly excited. JB signed his plane ticket, then asked the kid to watch his bag. The kid agreed. JB set the bag down next to the checkout counter. Several minutes later, the kid was starting to get nervous that he was going to miss his flight. He asked the woman behind the checkout counter what time it was. She did not speak English, but she did laugh at him. Several minutes after that, he discovered that the bag in question had been lifted off the wall in the gift shop and dropped on the floor when he wasn't looking. Hilarious. A.J., take note. Apparently there is one thing old JB can teach you. Fan avoidance. And you oughtta be needing that soon.



2 comments:

Z said...

Bless you, I assumed that you simply chose not to publish comments but were friendly enough to allow them.

Excellent Jack Black story.

heybartender said...

Nope, I'm just slow to learn. And I love your use of "Bless you" by the way. In the American South, the term is "Bless your heart," or "bless her heart." As in, "hey bartender is a nice enough girl, but she isn't very bright when it comes to technology, bless her heart."
Anyway, I'm glad some of you are still here.