Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Recap.


I drank my Sunday beer on Friday night again. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, Sunday Beer is what a person who lives in the Bible Belt has to consider on Saturday, due to what are known as Blue Laws. Blue being from the Latin root Blu, which loosely translates to "We're not separating church from state and if you don't like it fuck you." Here in Georgia, beer and liquor may not be sold on Sunday. Not in bars or liquor stores or grocery stores, anyway. We are welcome to get as drunk as we like in restaurants, or in bowling alleys that sell crap second-hand sandwiches and nachos. (But not in the Jesus Bowl--we can't even cuss in there).
Anyway, it was just as well this week, because I had plenty to drink on Friday and Saturday.
Friday night was a benefit for AIDS Athens featuring drag queens, drag kings, and belly dancers. Pretty much business as usual, with a side of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Cold Stoli Orange. Good times, until I had to wake up on Saturday. Actually, I think it was probably the million cigarettes I smoked that did me in, but I can't be sure.


Whatever the cause, my hangover did not stop me from going out on Saturday with Jamie and our friend R. We had lunch at Siri Thai (Thai iced tea is one of my most recent and best beverage discoveries), then headed over to the Manhattan for a couple of drinks. (Truth be told, I had three, and they each had one. So I guess that evens out, right?) Good food, good conversation. Good times.
Sunday we had a work meeting. Pretty straightforward. Lots of coffee. Yaddah Yaddah.
Today I have done almost nothing. Have been reading everyone else's blogs and several books and magazines. Day one of the diet and I have not broken down or killed anyone yet. 13 to go.

No comments: