Thursday, August 31, 2006

Comedy, Errors.

Yesterday I got to work to discover that the ice machine was full of water. Under normal circumstances, this would be problematic, as people tend to like their drinks cold. This particular week, it was a veritable catastrophe, as we were expecting 85,000 extras on our set. That's right folks, football season is upon us again, and I for one could not be more excited.
Actually, i have a love/hate relationship with football season. I love the money, but I find the people for the most part pretty horrifying. Anyway, after multiple phone calls and a bad diagnosis from the ice machine repairman, it was decided that I would drive to Atlanta to pick up the part we needed, so as not to have to wait an extra day for them to overnight it, which they told me would not happen until Thursday, which would mean that the part would arrive on Friday, rendering the machine totally useless until Saturday. (Please keep in mind that Atlanta is about seventy miles away, and the company that was fixing the machine is auite large, and under normal circumstances one would expect that a company like that would be able to get the part here without inconveniencing me to this degree.) Then Carlie, the lovely assistant on the phone at the ice machine fixing company, had the gaul to lay into me about it!

"I just want you to know that we don't DO this, " she said, scolding me. "I mean, I know everybody is freaking out because its the first game day weekend and everything, but we DO NOT DO THIS."
"Really? That's a coincidence, because I DON'T EITHER, you stupid bitch" I wanted to say.
"Well, I understand that, but this is really important and I really appreciate this" I said instead.

So basically, I spent five hours in my car today, driving through torrential, Biblical rain (I saw three wrecks- one in Athens and two within a mile of each other in ATL). Add to this that the guy on the phone in Atlanta gave me the wrong directions, and that when I called back to get redirected, it was raining so hard that I couldn't hear the woman on teh other end of my cell phone.
And when I stopped at a gas station to get a soda on the way home, not only did they not have regular Coke in cans (I can't fit those giant bottles in my cup holder, and besides, who the hell needs that many ounces of liquid at once?), but the cheddar cheese cracker Combos that I bought wound up being stale, due to a hole in the bag, which I did not discover until I had already gotten back on the road and put some in my mouth. They tasted like dust, and as I spit them into a napkin, scraping the remnants from my tongue and gagging uncontrollably, washing it down with a (not) tasty Coca Cola Zero. Seriously.

No comments: