Wednesday, January 05, 2011

On Monday I went to yoga class out in Plainfield. I was lucky to get there early, because it wound up being quite full. This is, of course, great news for my friends who run the yoga studio. At this time last year I was literally their only Monday night student. For me it just means I will have to remember to always leave early, and try to remember and avoid the people who smell funny. Z wrote a great post the other day about smells. I haven't much to add to it, really, except that the kind of people who attend yoga classes and shop at natural foods stores are very often the kind of people who douse themselves in oils that make me sneeze. I wonder if my avoidance of all things scented (dishwashing soap, laundry soap, dryer sheets, lotion) is making me more sensitive? Hmmm.
It is snowing outside again. On Sunday, a woman came into the Local Grocery who works at a ski resort. She and Sven had a lengthy conversation about the weather (Sven's favorite subject, apparently ever since he saw the Al Gore documentary) which concluded with him saying
"There's no snow in the forecast" in a tone that most people reserve for phrases like
"The diagnosis doesn't look good", or perhaps "He's not breathing."

She, of course, shook her head and walked off feeling like crap, because her job depends on the snow.
I looked at Sven with disbelief.

"Since when is the forecast any indication of what the weather might bring? Come on, man! Just by saying that there is no snow in the forecast, you have just doomed us to certain snow. Probably feet of it."

"You're probably right," he said, glumly.

Gods I hope he snaps out of this soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year from Lancashire to Vermont!

No-one smells like a hippie. The overwhelming scent of geranium, rose or lavendar when you turn a street corner instantly identifies someone fifty yards ahead who's just been to get her organic Ukrainian spelt bread and replenish her stock of alfalfa sprouts. I don't use any scents or sprays or things to go in the washing machine and I'm sure it does make your sense of smell sharper (and makes anyone who smokes really reek).

Re coffee makers - I've got a Moka Express (I'll add a link in case you call it something else over there http://www.johnlewis.com/230134059/Product.aspx) and there's nothing to go wrong in it. Every 3-4 years you have to buy a new rubber ring but that's it. Suppose it depends what you want to make though.

heybartender said...

I would swim an ocean of rose, geranium, or lavender - hell, I would swim an ocean of whatever nauseating combination you might sling in front of me - to never have to breathe a pathcouli cloud again.

The biggest problem for me with scents in general is that when you wear them, you cease to smell them, and so seemingly apply it in greater quantity. It's one of the reasons I stopped wearing any scent in the first place. It absolutely destroys me now. I suppose I should move to France or back to the South Side of Chicago in order to desensitize again.

Happy New Year to you as well, and thanks for the coffee maker advice!