Monday, January 09, 2012

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I am once again composing on my phone, so please bear with the rampant typos. My first day here was mostly spent eating and drinking and playing with the dog and catching up with my parents. They showed me around their condo and their neighborhood, as well as the beer store, and we chatted and rested. Friday we dropped my dad at the golf course and mom and I went to a local farmer's market, where we bought fruit and veg and bread and fresh mozzarella, as well as cheese and pastries from a French expat. After we took a walk around the park, which was mostly a very large trail around a small body of water that is filled with big crazy birds and, purportedly, alligators. We saw no alligators but several large turtles and a dumb young couple smoking pot out in the open while making half-hearted attempts to rein in their pit bull puppy. Bright future for all involved there, to be sure. After we picked up dad we drove out to Sanibel Island, where we located a nature preserve that none of us had the energy to hike through. Ah well, another day perhaps. Yesterday we went to Ft Myers Beach, which was gorgeous despite being tacky and touristy. The sand was white and powdery and felt great. There are places there to go parasailing. I am hoping to get back there as well. This trip is getting much too short. Today I slept in and had a huge and delicious cup of coffee and a smoothie before suiting up and heading down to the pool. My folks had to go to the airport to pick up my sister, so I brought along a book my mom loaned me and my iPod and spent two glorious hours in my own world.

No comments: