Sunday, August 01, 2010

The Vermont Cheesemakers Festival was last Sunday. The b.h. had the day off, and I got paid for the full day (it's educational, you know) to go eat cheese and play outside (mostly- we did volunteer to help with breakdown afterward) for the day at Shelburne Farms. I have been to the museum, but this was my first visit to the farm. I don't know who these Shelburnes were (are?) but they must have been pretty bloody wealthy, because this is their idea of a barn:





It looks like a set from The Lord of the Rings, doesn't it? Like Rohan?

They also had what appeared to be a two-headed cow, which obviously must have cost a fortune (or else the b.h. is especially talented at photography, but one never knows):



As we drove in, we were struck by the size of the place (enormous) and its proximity to the lake (adjacent). All I could think about is what it must have been like to grow up on the land. What is now an inn of considerable size was once a family home. Mind blowing. And this is a small portion of the back yard:





Then of course, there was the food. I only took a few pictures, and I'll save the best for last, but suffice to say that it was a fantastically decadent day, I learned a lot, I met a lot of cheese makers, and I am glad they don't do this more often or I would probably die. My arteries are still trying to get over it.






3 comments:

loobyloo said...

What a great way to do "research"! But Georgia to Vermont - phew, that's a long way to go.

The wo?/man in the second to last photo on the RH side in the white T-shirt doesn't need any more cheese.

I'm going to a foodie fair next week. I wish you were nearer, because I'd send you one of our local specialities - black pudding, which is made from pig's blood and is absolutely delicious.

Actually, I've just done a quick Wikipaedia and you have a similar thing in the US called blood sausage.

heybartender said...

Oh, hey Loob. I forgot you haven't been here that long. I am actually living in Vermont now. Not that I wouldn't have done a road trip up here for a cheese fest, but I don't want to mislead you. I haven't changed the name of the blog because- well, because I like the name, really, and it was already established when I moved. Also, I have no idea what else to call it. And we will likely move again within the year, probably to the other coast, and then I would have to change it yet again. So you can see why I am choosing the easy way out.
P.S. I hope this won't change your opinion of me, but I am a vegetarian, so no blood sausage. But the better half eats enough meat for both of us, so fear not. The balance of the universe remains.

loobyloo said...

Coming next...swirly wallpaper and a girlfriend in an orange shift dress!

And I thikn much more of people who can resist delicious foods. I eat almost entirely vegetarian food except I obviously have some deep-seated unsatisfied offal lust because the things that tempt me off the straight and narrow are black pudding and haggis.