Tuesday, August 17, 2010

On Sunday I worked and spent the evening cleaning house. Monday I got up early and did more cleaning, as well as some laundry, because we had a house guest coming (why else would I possibly bother, right?). So Monday afternoon I went up to Burlington and picked up MT from the airport. We drove over to look at Lake Champlain for a minute, then hopped back in the car and came back here. For reasons to various and mundane to recount, MT hadn't gone to sleep yet, and having worked both Saturday and Sunday nights, he was pretty beat. SO he took a nap for a few hours while I walked dogs and the b.h. made dinner. After that we ate and had several beers and spent time on the porch talking and catching up.
Tuesday I got up early and, while MT slept in, went for a hike in the woods with my friend A and our collective dogs. This was enormously entertaining, because her dog is a tiny poodle who always runs like she's been shot from a cannon, which Kilgore loves because finally somebody can keep up with him. So we wore the dogs out for a couple hours, then I returned home and waited for MT to get up. When he did, we went downtown and wandered about for a bit, then A met up with us and we all went out to Morse Farm for a maple creemee, by which MT was sufficiently impressed. We also took him up the trail to feed the resident goat. After that A had to go to work, and MT and I went out to Plainfield and browsed the fantastic Country Bookshop for nearly two hours before returning to the house. For dinner we went to Taco Night at a local restaurant. We all found it very disappointing. After that we visited A at work and had a couple beers, and then went back to the house, where we talked and watched some TV and I passed out pretty early.
Wednesday I got up early and went for another dog hike with A. It wound up being much longer than we intended, because we were hiking in unfamiliar territory and got a bit turned around. The dogs loved it, though, and despite the heat we had a good time. MT got up just as I was leaving for work. I had a short but pleasantly busy day, and returned to the house just after six.
We went to dinner at the Local Restaurant, (formerly my place of employment, formerly A's place of employment, and currently the place where the b.h. goes to school). Harried Manager treated us each to a glass of 2003 Josef Christoffel Riesling that he had unearthed from the wine inventory brought over when the school consolidated restaurants. It was, as you might imagine, amazing. We each tried it with all of our different courses and compared notes and shared bites and generally had a great time. Dinner was great. The service was hilarious, because the bartender had had a birthday the day before and was still recovering. Since we're all friends we didn't mind that he was forgetful and often looked nauseated, especially because he managed to laugh all the way through the worst of the rush despite his condition. We had a couple beers, then came home and had another. I got a phone call from my old boss Sam (he of the Local Liquor Store in Athens), and we talked for awhile while the b.h. and MT watched cartoons. I went to bed around one thirty or so.

Thursday I had to be at work at eight. There was a fuckton of work to do in cheese. I was receiving the weekly inventory, which is normally Sven's job. I was pretty slow at it, but luckily had some help from Amy, a new cheese person. After that we just rolled up our sleeves and, if you'll excuse the phrase, cut the cheese. All day it was high production. I have no idea how much coffee I drank, but it was at least twice what I usually drink, and it barely sufficed.
After work MT and I took the dogs to the river. We spent an hour or two running around in the water and skipping stones and chasing and being chased, then piled in the car and came home.
Thursday evening MT and the b.h. and I went down to The Alchemist Pub. The wait was, as usual, an hour, but we were having a good time drinking their delicious house brewed beer and talking, so it was no bother. Eventually A joined us, and the hour wait turned into an hour and a half, and we finally sat down after eight to eat. My food was as delicious as the beer, and once again I remarked that I am glad we don't live in the neighborhood or I would be a two hundred pound alcoholic. Again we came home and watched a bit of teevee, and again I passed out pretty quickly.
Friday I worked a full day, but I came home on my break and took MT downtown to get some lunch. When I got home I immediately changed shoes and MT and I took the dogs to Hubbard Park for a nice long hike. Friday night the b.h. made pizza for dinner, and MT and I went down to the Local Dive Bar to see A's boyfriend D play a show with his band. We had each already had a couple beers at the house, and the beer at the LDB is not great, so we nursed one each very slowly and talked and enjoyed the music. We left fairly early because we had to get up early to go to Montreal on Saturday. As we made our way down the street to my car, MT remarked that he didn't miss the bar/band scene at all. I can't say the same myself, actually, because I would about kill for more regular (good) live music, but I guess I'm saving money by the lack of it here in Vermont.

No comments: