Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So now that I have finished catching up on vacation posts that are nearly three weeks old (minus the photos, I just remembered- feck!), I should say that I have turned in my resignation at the Local Restaurant. It was not a difficult decision, I was surprised to find, once I realized that the b.h. was fully in support of it.

The thing is, I work around 52 hours a week, and have been doing so for six months now. Which was fine, until it started to be a regular occurrence that I never had the tools to do my job, and was rarely in a position to give my customers good service. Add to this that the accounting department decided that we were not going to be able to take our credit card tips home at the end of the night (almost ALL of our tips on on credit cards), and that we would not be allowed to tip anyone else in cash (how that is the decision of anyone else I have no idea). Did I mention that we have no General Manager? That basically no one is steering the proverbial ship? Yeah- that guy left in December, along with the person who was in charge of catering. Anyway, I was still willing to go along, waiting for things to get better when they got more help. I was put in charge of choosing the wines by the glass - something that I was really excited at the prospect of, and which I spent an inordinate number of my precious free hours researching. I had done several tastings, analyzed costs, and researched pairing with the food on both of our menus, and then was suddenly verbally shit upon by a manager last week during a tasting.

She apparently had no idea what was going on and thought that I was offering an unsolicited opinion about the current list, and therefore chose to snap at me, embarrassing me in front of my manager and co-workers and a representative from a wine company. When I wrote her a carefully worded and completely professional e-mail basically protesting this treatment and telling her that I expect her to behave in a more professional manner, I received in reply a poorly written and unprofessional non-apology. It did not address my point at all, but did say that I had taken her remark out of context, and then went on for two paragraphs proving that I had taken it completely as it was meant, and that she is a manager and I am not, blah blah blah. So yeah, I gave my notice that night.
I have one more shift (this Saturday), an iron in another fire already, and a deep desire for a more sane life. I will now have two days off a week, with summer (supposedly) just around the corner, and my sister and brother-in-law visiting at the end of the month. Joy.

No comments: