Monday, May 11, 2009

The weekend was pretty good, I suppose. It felt short. I didn't get to either of the early shows on Friday. S and A stopped by to see me at Nuci's Space, even though they had to get up early and couldn't stay for the show. The show was fine, but I drank a bit too much Smuttynose Imperial Stout and wound up nearly passing out in the middle of Lake City's set. No fault of theirs, mind you. They brought the rock. I was just exhausted and probably shouldn't have hit the high gravity beer.
Saturday I slept in and worked in the yard before going to work. I have been plucking some of my perennials from the yard and bringing them to S & T's house, since they would likely just get lost in the weeds here without much diligence. My rose bush is enormous. I can't help but feel a sense of gardener's pride every season when it blooms. I got that thing as a stick in a half gallon bucket, and now it is several feet tall by several feet wide, and has nearly covered the dead satellite dish I planted it next to. It smells fantastic, too. If I get less lazy later I'll try to post some pictures.
Sunday I went out with S and got some herbs and dirt. Since I'm planting in window boxes and taking them with me, I figured I might as well go ahead and get them. It will save the b.h. and I having to pay exorbitant grocery store prices for them in the meantime. So we went back to her house and put some stuff in the dirt, and then watched a preview of Real Housewives of New Jersey, which I have the misfortune of being addicted to and unable to watch for lack of cable. That show is the perfect example of why I don't have cable, actually, because it is fucking awesome and ridiculous and I already don't read enough. So yeah.
And speaking of reading, I finished the first Maisie Dobbs mystery, which i enjoyed but am not gobsmacked by. I have two more that the b.h.'s mom lent me, but they are currently on the back burner. I'm re-reading How Dogs Think by Stanley Coren, with the hope that it will help me help the dogs adjust to our new home more quickly. Still reading Party Out of Bounds, too.
Sunday evening J and M came over for dinner. It was short and sweet and we went to bed at a completely reasonable hour. Woke up in the middle of the night to an unruly thunderstorm, which scared the hell out of Kilgore, who in turn scared the hell out of me. I got him up into the bed and calmed him down pretty quickly, though, and we all went to sleep again.
The boys got their annual haircuts today, and they look hilarious. Again, I'll post pictures when I'm feeling less lazy.
Other than that, I am eagerly awaiting a visit from Tim Easton and company on Thursday, and his show with Todd McBride on Thursday night at the 40 Watt. It has been far too long.

2 comments:

Jordan Stepp said...

I just got a third copy of Party Out of Bounds. My other two finally fell apart from use. Summer just seems like a good time to start reading it.

heybartender said...

Yep, I'm slugging through it. In two weeks it will only make me homesick, so i have to finish before we leave.