Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Dreams They Seem to Cost Money...

But money costs some dreams."

I love The Hold Steady because they look like people I know, like people I hang out with. The lead singer sweats a lot and he looks like he probably has a lot of allergies. I love them because I was having a really, really shitty night until the moment they hit the stage. Because I didn't want to leave the house, or my bed, or the inside of my head, and then by the time the second song started I had forgotten all about it. I love them because they don't all dress the same way, and because they are unabashedly really fucking excited just to be there, and they dance like idiots and jump up and down and because they know that this whole thing is just a fluke and they fucking love it. I'm not saying they aren't insanely talented, because they are. But there are a lot of insanely talented musicians delivering pizzas and washing dishes all over the country (fuck, all over Athens) right now, and these guys got fucking lucky, and because of that we all did, too.

If you have any appreciation whatsoever of brilliant fucking lyrics, buy the record. Buy them all.

6 comments:

Z said...

I will.

Z said...

At least, I've started by ordering one.

I love the reasons you give for loving them, as well as their music.

heybartender said...

Cool! I hope you like them. A few people have said that they don't "get it" when they hear the record, but then they see the band live and they are enthralled. But I think if you are into lyrics you will appreciate the record. Which one did you order?

Z said...

I ordered Stay Positive. It should have been here yesterday; let's hope it arrives tomorrow. *sigh" I should have just downloaded it, shouldn't I? - the extra tracks were on Amazon rather than iTunes though. And I'm old, I like to handle the CD.

Z said...

Oh, and I'm not at all put off by not 'getting it' to start with. If it's good, it improves with repeated listenings.

heybartender said...

You know how I feel about holding the thing- totally with you on that. Plus, you'll get to read lyrics (if there are any that you can't hear properly) in the liner notes, which is always a plus.