Friday, October 20, 2006

Down By Okkervil River

Can I just say that Okkervil River totally rules? Well, I guess I did. That show was amazing, despite the world's crappiest sound at the Caledonia. Thanks to the band for not pointing it out and/or getting bitchy about it. I was struck by the professionalism, actually, and Will even managed to make a rather funny joke about it. Most of their crowd likely had no idea that anything was wrong. The fans were quite young, you see, and obviously didn't get out much. My favorite was the girl who brought her clueless idiot friend, the guy who I overheard saying "I'm not feeling it. The guy's just arrogant," while standing front and center and talking through half the songs. She was trying way too hard to talk him into liking it, explaining the meanings of songs and quoting lyrics. I hated them. Since my elbow digging into the guy's back didn't seem to have any effect, I was relieved when another guy finally turned around and told them both to shut up.
After that, it was amazing. Brilliant.
They even played The New Single, which everybody seemed to know already, so I guess word is getting out. Hopefully since the show sold out we can get them back soon.

No comments: