Tuesday, June 08, 2010

We stopped at a Buffalo Exchange on the way back to K's. I bought a pair of jeans and K got two skirts and a shirt, which she ended up giving to me (Again with the she's too kind). We also stopped at a thrift store, which was not quite as thrifty as a regular thrift store, but pretty damned thrifty for Brooklyn. I was tempted by a lot of things, but purchased only a small vintage commemorative glass from Soth of the Border.
We got back to K's and made more coffee. I painted my toenails, charged my camera battery, and took some pictures from her balcony:






After hanging out there for an hour or so, we were ready to get our night started. K had a gallery opening to attend, so we all got on the subway together and went to Union Square, where she met up with her friend J. We parted ways with a plan to get in touch after the show, and the b.h. and I headed in search of food. We made a quick stop at the Walgreens, where I was told by the man checking us out that my blouse was "lovely". (Wardrobe compliments from gay men = Score!). We found several places that looked interesting, but none seemed suitable for his meat habit, my vegetarian needs, and our schedule, which was slightly tighter than was ideal. We weren't exactly sure about getting to the boat where the rock show was going to happen, and we wanted to get there in plenty of time. We wound up eating at a vegetarian place since getting too full on a big heavy meal before boarding a boat for a rock show seemed like a bad idea. Angelica Kitchen is in the East Village, and it has been doing Vermont for longer than Vermont has. By this I mean the focus is on seasonal, local, organic food. The day's specials were Steve McQueen themed (I wish I could remember the names - one was a play on The Great Escape, and the other was called Steve's somethingorother), a sure sign that these were, at least to some degree, our people. While I w, I was chatting as waiting in line for the rest room (I had to wash my hands, you see, because we had ridden the subway, and well, ew), a waiter who looked remarkably like a gay twenty-something version of Brent Best told me that he liked my blouse and that it really suited me. That's two compliments from two unrelated gay men in less than an hour. Totally keeping that shirt. Anyway, the food was excellent, the service was quick, and we got out of there in plenty of time. We started walking in the general direction of the dock, stopped for a cannoli (yay! cannoli!) on the way, and eventually grabbed a cab the rest of the way. We saw the band at their van right when we pulled up, so we went over to say hi and met the new bass player.
If I haven't properly indoctrinated you yet, then let me pause here to tell you how much you need to hear and see and love J. Roddy Walston and the Business. This band may actually save rock and roll. And they just released an e.p. this week, so you should go get one. It's on iTunes and it's under three dollars. That way you can say you had it first when they blow up, which by the looks of things they are just about to do.
Getting on the boat was easy and uneventful. The show was pretty crowded, and there were a number of record industry douchebag types, as well as several people with cameras that were too professional for tourists. I assume that they were press folk, though it hadn't occurred to me until just this moment to do a search and see if the show got written up anywhere. We talked to the boys a bit, and I took a lot of pictures.






None of the shots of the Statue of Liberty turned out, which is rather a bummer. Oh well. Here are a few of the band:





2 comments:

loobyloo said...

Never mind the architecture, where's the picture of the shirt? :)

heybartender said...

Oh, right! I'll have to get on that.