Saturday, June 12, 2010

So, unsurprisingly, there is an Athens contingent in New York City. What was surprising is that I ran into two of them without planning it at all.
The second day there I woke up early and had to move my car. After circling a couple blocks trying to find a legal spot, I jumped out and found myself standing at a red light waiting to cross the street behind a guy who used to work at Agora. I couldn't remember his name to save my life, and it was a million degrees outside and I had just woken up, so I didn't say anything to him.
Then on Friday, we all went into Manhattan to take pictures and look at lobbies of great buildings and stop at Grand Central Station to buy rape whistles (K likes to give them as gifts. They're small and floral and fit on your key chain), and we were standing on the sidewalk taking pictures. The b.h. was wearing his 40 Watt t-shirt, and out of nowhere a very loud, very New York voice boomed
"Is that The Forty Watt in Athens, Georgia? I used to work there thirty years ago!"
The voice came from a uniformed man outside of one of the spectacular buildings whose facades I was attempting to photograph. We ended up chatting with him for a few minutes, and of course we knew many of the same people. He showed us the inside of the building where he was working, which was stunning, but I was too shy to take pictures. I did take his, though.


Honestly, the world is just so small.

2 comments:

Z said...

Remarkable as that story is (and what a friendly chap he must be, how lovely), I can trump it. I can trump just about anyone's coincidental meeting, unless it's set in the middle of the Sahara or up K2 (involving non-mountaineers or, er, deserteers).

I'll check I've never written about it, and if I haven't, I will.

heybartender said...

Cool! If you have, then do send me a link.