Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sweet!

So apparently NPR is broadcasting that Tom Waits Show we went to last month. Did I even mention that show? It was fucking stunning. Worth every penny and every minute spent driving to Atlanta, which is not something I say very often.
I had never been to The Fox Theater before, and I can't think of a more perfect venue for Tom Waits. The site doesn't seem to have any current photos, which is a huge bummer, because we also weren't allowed to take any ourselves. Basically it's designed to look like you're outside. The ceiling was dusk blue when we got in and got progressively darker as the night went on. There are also lights in it that look like stars. If you walk all the way up to the orchestra pit and look back, the balcony is surrounded by what look like castle walls, with a circus tent type thing over the second one, so it looks like you're watching a performance inside a courtyard. The usher that I spoke to said that the theater was built in the twenties (she knew the exact year, but I have since forgotten), and that it was almost torn down several years ago. I can't really begin to describe it.
The show was fantastic, as expected. It turns out I am more familiar with his material than I realized. It helped that he did "Down In The Hole" early in the set. That's the theme from The Wire, which is one of my favorite shows ever, so I've heard it a whole bunch. Anyway, no need for my sad attempts at a review. Now you can all enjoy the show.

2 comments:

alfredblog said...

there is a guy that lives in the belfry of the fox

heybartender said...

I think I'm jealous.