Sunday, January 19, 2014

Homesick

I know I'm technically home now, but most of the time it really doesn't feel like it. I love the feel of the city, the fact that I can essentially have any kind of food or entertainment on any given night. Recently the b.h. And I have been making an effort to get out more and try restaurants we haven't tried, maybe get a drink somewhere different. It has been fun, and we have found some great places and revisited some if my old favorites- dive bars to bakeries. 

All of this is great, but we aren't seeing much of our friends. I don't really even see my family. I don't feel any sense of community here. I'm sure that's largely our own fault. For the first year we didn't have any money and found it difficult to get out, and once we started making money we really didn't have any time. Your money or you life, they say, and it was never more true for me than in the last three months. 


1 comment:

looby said...

Hello! I'm very glad to see you again. My feed reader doesn't seem to recognise you.

Hope the things you mention in the post of 30 Dec are working themselves out. It's such a shock when you have that sudden alienation or unexpected distance from someone you thought you knew (and they you).

Coming back to this entry... London's not my home, but I spent eight years there and I am so glad I left it for somewhere that really is home, in a true sense. Never mind being able to eat fantastic bagels at 5am or see the latest arthouse Italian films... friendship and social life are what matter for me.

All the best from Lancaster, UK

Here's hoping this comment will not be rejected, as loads of my comments here are on your blog!