Saturday, November 24, 2012

We sold almost seventeen thousand dollars worth of wine on Wednesday. I worked for nine and a half hours. Now I am very seriously looking into a bar job. I asked around and a friend of mine told me his brothers own a sports bar not too far from my house. Madness? Perhaps. A bad idea? Possibly. But I can't shake the feeling that I am being had at my current job. The corporate fuckwittery is bad and the pay is worse. I'm going to meet one of the guys on Wednesday and see what it looks like. If they will give me a shift or two a week to start I will take it. If I am forced to decide between knowing how much money I will make every paycheck and hoping for enough, I'm going to have to think very hard about it. Also, my health insurance just kicked in.
I don't know what to think. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... it's never sounded like this job is really working out for you so perhaps it's time to have a look at the sports bar. If you're sellnig that much wine there should be scope for making the job better for everyone, but it sounds a bit of a cut-throat environment. Best of luck!

Z said...

You know so much about wine and beer, it seems a shame that you can't use that to get a job with prospects for promotion. But better to be happy than shoved around by fuckwits.

heybartender said...

Interestingly, I met the bar owner, had a good chat, talked about what they were looking for, etc. He never even called back. In a way I am happy, because it was too far away to be driving for just a shift or two and the money didn't seem great, but I was surprised that he didn't even follow up to say thanks but no thanks.