Saturday, February 18, 2012

So my coworker pages me to the sales floor, and I can see on her face when I arrive that she can't wait to pass off the idiot she's talking to. I have seen this guy before. He looks like he stepped off the set of The Lord of the Rings, but with boots and a plaid wool jacket. He has this terrible, ridiculously curled beard, too much jewelery, and a funny little accent. "Heybartender, this is Padma." ("Really? Top Chef is really wearing on her!" was all I could think.) "What can I help you find?" "You don't have any Cotes du Rhone. I used to always be able to find Cotes du Rhone..." "Sure we do! Come with me," I said, walking over to the French wines. I pointed out three that were on the shelf. "Those are too expensive. I want one for under ten dollars." I pointed to two more. "Those aren't good." "Well, there aren't a lot of good Cotes du Rhone out there for under ten dollars. If you want a good one, you should try this- or this." I gestured at two that were $11.99. "You have to go out to Adamant (another Co Op). She has all kinds of Cotes du Rhone." "Well, I'm not going to Adamant. If there's something specific you want, I will order it for you." "She has this one for $7.99!" he continued, picking up one of the ten dollar bottles. "Well, clearly she isn't interested in making money. Unfortunately, I have to or I will lose my job. If you want to save the two bucks, then I recommend that you drive out there to buy your wine, though I daresay the gas will cost you at least as much as you're saving." "Okay, well, thank you for hearing me out." "Yeah." This happens all the time.

No comments: