Thursday, May 05, 2011

"Can you tell me where the coffee is?" asked a scrawny gray-haired woman with a lazy eye. Her tone was anxious. Her tone was that of a person with a gaping wound asking the way to the Emergency Room. I started to answer, but before I could utter more than two words she immediately cut me off.
"Oh! You have that Beaujolais Village?! Do you have it in- oh! you have it in the small bottles! How much is it?"
Once again I started to answer, and once again she cut me off.
"Oh, I love that. But I don't want any today. But I was just wondering how much they were." Every statement she made was delivered rapid-fire. Her son (aged around ten, I would guess) looked exhausted and apologetic. I started back in the direction I was already headed. She grasped my arm.
"Can you tell me where the coffee is?!"
I pointed in the general direction and walked off as quickly as I could.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a test comment - sorry!

Anonymous said...

Test comment 2. Sorry Julie - just wondering if it helps if I sign into Blogger before posting.

Anonymous said...

Test comment 3 (from different browser)

heybartender said...

Seems like it worked. Blogger was down the other day when I tried to get on, but all seems well now.

Anonymous said...

Huurah!

Anonymous said...

Poor lad, learning to apologise for his mum at such an early age!