Friday, January 15, 2010

Vacation, Part 2

We went home after pizza and watched the hockey game with my parents. When I was younger, I was a huge hockey fan. Sometime around my early twenties, I realized that professional athletes were largely over-paid, crybaby assholes and I was over it. This was also around the time that I moved out of my parent's house for good and started going to see live music on a very regular basis. In my opinion, music is much better than sports because with a good band, everybody cheers and everybody wins. Even when I was a sports fan the poetry of sports never had the effect on me that the poetry of music has.
All that being said, I will admit to enjoying that game immensely. The Bl@ckhawks were playing St Louis, and this is a bitter and long standing rivalry. At one point, I was in the living room watching the game with my mom while everybody else was crowded into the back room watching on the larger TV. They were all very loud and animated, but my mom was just muttering quietly to herself.
"Why don't you go fuck yourself?" she asked of one member of the St. Louis team. To another, she mentioned something he should do with his stick that I am certain was not physically possible. The F-bombs were dropping. Often. "Jag off" was bandied about frequently as well. I had forgotten how much I liked that one. I finally burst out laughing, and she looked at me quizzically.
"What?"
"It's just nice to know I'm not the only one."
"No- you don't take after strangers."

2 comments:

Z said...

I love your mom.

heybartender said...

I know- she's hilarious.