Saturday, October 24, 2009

A few weeks ago, I was working a stupid, stupid lunch shift at the Local Restaurant. It was loaded with leaf peepers, they all came in at once (off of buses), they all wanted separate checks, they were all on a tight schedule, and the kitchen was full of new students who couldn't even cook a blasted hamburger. One table had three young girls at it. A co-worker of mine came up and told me that they had completely stiffed him (no tip at all, for those of you unfamiliar with the term) a couple days before. He said I should make sure to tell them that their school cards only paid for the food and not the gratuity, because it was possible that they were confused, even though he had explained it to them. So, when I dropped the check, I sent over a manager (who is also an instructor at the school- this is how the restaurant/school relationship sometimes works) to make sure they understood. Then they stiffed me.

These school cards have been the bane of our existence at the Local Restaurant. What they are is basically $300 credit cards given to all new students, which they use to dine at the LR so they can experience the school and the food and the restaurant before they come in for class. The cards don't include gratuity, as I said, and a large percentage of the students don't tip. This leaves the professional wait staff stuck waiting on some really rude and obnoxious kids who take up all of our time and all of our tables, essentially for free.

After the girls left, I spoke to the chef instructor, and she said she was going to talk to them later, when they were in class. It was agreed all around that something needs to be done. Well, nothing was done. Or at least, no results were seen on our end. And the problem with a Culinary Institute is that new students are coming in all the time. It isn't like traditional college, where the new kids mostly arrive in the fall.

The other night, I was behind the bar, and lo and behold, one of these obnoxious young ladies arrives in full brigade (that's French for "cute little chef suit") in a big hurry. She was working in the kitchen, which meant that she had very limited time, and she had a cup in her hand. I looked up at her and smiled.

"What do you need?" I said, calmly. She immediately recognized me.
"Can I just get a ginger ale when you have a minute?"
"Of course," I smiled again, continuing to pour a glass of wine for an order that was going out to a customer. Then I started to make a martini. Normally, when I see a chef or a student chef coming, I reach over the bar, past any servers who are waiting for their drink orders, and fill their drink, because I know that they only have a moment and that they have to get back to the kitchen as soon as possible. This time I didn't feel any urgency at all. And sure enough, the little bitch ran back up the stairs to the kitchen without any ginger ale. Did she learn a lesson? I doubt it. Did I feel slightly better anyway? Damn straight.

6 comments:

Z said...

Out of interest, were your wages made up by your (possibly assumed) tips, or is it a decent wage anyway? Over here, it's just been made illegal for tips to be used to make up the wages. I always asked if it was, and if I wasn't happy with the answer I'd give the tip in cash.

heybartender said...

In the US, employers are required to make sure that employees make at least minimum wage per hour. Wages for most wait people are about three plus dollars an hour, with the rest presumed to be made up in tips. The thing is, it usually works itself out, but I don't know anyone who would bother to file a claim if it didn't. Tipping in cash is always better, because in some places when you tip on your credit card the wait staff don't get that money until the end of the week, or the end of a pay period. In any case, not tipping at all is ridiculous. It's part of the deal when you eat in a restaurant in this country. If people from other countries know this, then surely teenagers here should get it together.
Apologies for the copious waiter rants, by the way. I just find them entertaining.

Z said...

Minimum wage here, if you're over 18, is £5.80 per hour. And in future I will always tip in cash and think of you - but I hope you take for granted that I'm always friendly towards waiting staff.

BTW, just been to Amazon and ordered Deadwood on your recommendation, so it had better be good...

heybartender said...

I hope you aren't easily offended by colourful language. It is VERY colourful. But if my parents can get past it, then surely you can.
And if you watch the bonus material on the final disk, I think it will be easier to understand. David Milch, the creator, is a genius- despite being a classmate (and, I believe, frat brother) of George W. Bush. He explains the reasons for his choices. It might make it easier to take.

Z said...

I like colourful language, but I'll probably watch it when the Sage isn't around!

heybartender said...

Good idea.