Monday, November 03, 2008

Athens does that "Small World" thing to me Again.

So I'm at the Local Liquor Store, and I am assisting a customer with beer choices. He is a regular customer who comes in once a month or so and stocks up on different beers, tasting and taking notes as he goes. He looks to employees for recommendations, and since W, the beer guru, was not working, I was lucky enough to be able to help him choose. We strolled the beer cooler, I gave him some Arrogant Bastard and a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and a few random singles, and we got to talking about our respective cases of Anglophilia. He asked if I had ever been, and as we walked up to the front counter with his four six packs, I replied that I hadn't, and that I was afraid if I ever went I might never want to return.
"I do have a blogger friend there, though we have yet to meet in person," I explained, wondering if that sounded weird.
"Where?" he asked, not missing a beat(I guess it didn't).
"She lives in Bungay"
"Where is that?"
"Not entirely sure, but I get the idea that it's about a hundred miles North of London," I answered, suddenly wondering why in hell I had never looked on a map.

A woman who looked to be about sixty, standing in line in a Georgia Bulldog Cheerleader outfit (not that weird on game day, I'm afraid) suddenly piped up:
"Bungay England?"
"Yes."
"I thought that's what you must be talking about. We have friends that live in Bungay England. It's about a hundred miles Northeast of London."

Of course she does. Because that's how it is here.

3 comments:

Z said...

Oh My God! Do you know who her friends are?

I so often refer to my friends whom I never happen to have met. Doesn't make me any less their friend though.

heybartender said...

I am sorry to say I didn't ask. Partially because I was too surprised to react in time, and partially because I didn't know if it was a ridiculous question(Not having known exactly where Bungay is, I of course had no idea how big it is, and worried that it would be akin to saying "Oh, you're from New York? Do you know my friend Kendra?") If I see the woman next game day, I promise to ask. Are your friends in Atlanta fans of Georgia football? Maybe it was one of them? That would have been weird, huh?

Z said...

Bungay is quite a small town, it wouldn't be impossible, though unlikely enough to be weird if I did know them.

My friends in Atlanta are in their 80s so it's unlikely; her name is Sheila. I can't imagine their daughter-in-law would be someone in a cheerleader outfit and she is in her 40s; her name is Rhonda.