Saturday, June 02, 2007

Quandary.

So I have this friend. This friend is always asking me to borrow CDs in order to burn them. The friend is admittedly not well off, but always seems to have enough money to buy a cd from f*@!ing Be@st Buy- the latest by Amy Win3house or some other artist that doesn't need this friend's money. But the friend never, EVER buys CDs from local bands, or from touring bands that need to buy gas. And this friend never pays to get into shows, either.
So what do I say? Mostly because I am a big fat wuss and I don't enjoy confrontation, I have passed on some of my favorite CDs to this person, and this person has burned them, and then they proceed to tell the band how great they are, and what a big fan the person is, the next time they play in town. It makes me a little mad. It makes me a lot mad, actually, but I don't quite know how to say no. It would be different if the person had never heard the band, and I was trying to convince them to listen. Then no problem. I have had this experience several times, and when I like the band (as in the case of the ever fabulous Okkervil River) I usually end up giving them a lot of money. In fact, with Okkervil, I (we, actually, since the b.h. is a huge fan as well)have purchased two shirts, all of their CDs, and a couple of their records on vinyl. In addition, I have traveled to see them and paid to get in to several shows. I also burned a copy of their disc for other people who I thought would like them, and AJ not only bought shirts and CDs, but he's trying to put one of their songs in his movie, which would be a huge boon for everybody. So burning is not always a bad thing. But this particular person does not get it. I read a really great piece last year by a music writer (was that your friend Carl, J?)about how buying music and going to shows is a music fan's way of patronizing the arts. I think I even blogged a link to the piece because I thought it was so important.
Now I feel that it is time to put my money where my mouth is. So the new rule? You can't burn anything I own by a band that isn't riding in a fucking tour bus and mugging on MTV. And I really don't own any of that anyway, so you're S.O.L. Unless, of course, I am proselytizing. In which case, burn away.

6 comments:

Z said...

That is so bad mannered, especially then to go and make it look as if one is a great fan.

I've been sent a few CDs by friends and, if I've liked the band, I've always bought some of their music afterwards. I wasn't consciously doing the Decent Thing, it just seemed right.

Also, if someone recommends music with sufficient enthusiasm, I'll buy it and give it a go. It's not a huge amount of money, one CD, and you might find something great - like Okkervil River - and want to buy more.

Jamie said...

Yeah, that was Carl:

http://www.zoilus.com/documents//2006/000918.php

Worth remembering. I often buy band t-shirts, but I especially do it if I've gotten into a show free or if I've downloaded their music. They have to get revenue somehow.

Robbie Fulks used to have a funny piece on his site about how he was audited by the IRS. After reviewing his finances, the auditor turned to him, wrinkled her brow, and said, "Why in the world do you do this?!"

It's only right that if musicians enrich our lives, we try to pay them a fair wage.

Dingle Cheeks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heybartender said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frza said...

From the post by "You Know My Name" that was deleted: "Okkervil River is signed with Virgin/EMI."
Okkervil River is signed to Virgin in Europe (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/36270-okkervil-river-sign-to-virginemi-in-europe), which re-released "Black Sheep Boy" over there. Their upcoming record, "Stage Names" which comes out in August, is coming out on Jagjaguwar in the U.S. Okkervil being picked up by Virign in Europe is a result of tireless work and touring over the last ten years.
@my Winehouse is the product of producers. Not to say that the chick can't sing, but she is being lauded for fusing jazz vocals with those crazy hip-hop beats that the kids love so much. Her producers are famous for working with such folks as Christin@ @guilera, and are responsible for this "breakthrough." And, frankly, it's not much different than what Macy Gray or Lauryn Hill already did, only they've got the brash 23 year old British alcoholic gimmick thing to go along with it. See Also: Lily Allen. For that matter, See Also: The Frickin' $pice Girls.

alfredblog said...

don't you fucking judge me for loving p.m. dawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!